This December, Upstart & Crow is turning down the lights, breaking out the stemware, and staying open late for TOP SHELF, two evenings of book and beverages.
It’s a chance to spend an early winter’s evening with friends or loved ones browsing our bookshelves, enjoying cocktail pairings from Provincial Spirits, and discovering great reads and holiday gift ideas from our book sommeliers. The atmosphere? Think your local library meets a Tokyo jazz club on a winter’s night.
- A gorgeous cocktail from the locally owned Provincial Spirits (non-alcoholic options available)
- A $25 gift certificate towards Upstart & Crow purchases
- Delectable snacks
- Book recommendations for you and everyone on your holiday shopping list
- The opportunity to browse this “literary living room” on a winter’s eve in style
When booking, please choose one of four time slots (90 minutes each):
- December 2 – 6 p.m.
- December 2 – 8 p.m.
- December 3 – 6 p.m.
- December 3 – 8 p.m.
Meet your Book Sommeliers
- Zoe Grams is cofounder and curator of Upstart & Crow and founder of ZG Stories and basically lives on books. She’s excited to mix gin, feminist fairytales and literature in translation.
- Robyn Smith is the creative and operations director of Upstart & Crow. She dreams of raspberry spirits and riveting memoirs.
- Michelle Cyca is a freelance book critic and avid library patron. She loves pairing smoky whisky cocktails with excessively luscious prose and mesmerizing, mystery-driven narratives.
- Megan Lau is your resident nonfiction aficionado and culture nerd. She is an omnivorous consumer of books, music, films, podcasts, and “fun drinks.”
- Lizzy Karp loves to share links, music, wine and book recommendations. You may know her from gatherings that feature live stories, films, food, music and dancing.
More about Upstart & Crow
Located on Granville Island, Upstart & Crow is a literary arts studio for curious readers and creative storytellers alike. We are international in our outlook, and local in our sensibilities. We create opportunities to surface new talent and champion bold ideas through events, workshops, literary launches, unique partnerships — and yes, we also sell books!
More about Provincial Spirits
Made in Port Coquitlam, Provincial Spirits use the freshest and most flavourful ingredients possible and make everything from scratch in house. They use fresh juices and citrus sourced locally; premium vodka, gin and spirits; handmade botanicals and gathered natural flavours.
We want this event to be fun and safe! Masks are encouraged when not eating or drinking. While vaccine passports are no longer required, we hope that folks who come will be vaccinated and boosted and will stay home if they feel ill. All staff on site will be masked.
The main studio of our shop is accessible for folks with mobility aids, though there is a small mezzanine with stairs that will not be accessible. All books are on the main floor. There is a washroom on the main floor available for attendees.
We have limited each “seating” to 25 tickets to ensure ample space for folks to browse and enjoy.